Welcome to the St Mary’s College Webpage!
St Mary’s College was founded in 1899 by the Christian Brothers, a religious order of Brothers founded in Ireland by Blessed Edmund Rice. The Christian Brothers administered the College for 97 years and it is upon their shoulders that we stand proudly today. To further ensure that their spirit lives on, St Mary’s College has recently become an Edmund Rice Associate School.
The Charter of Edmund Rice Schools states that we should strive to achieve the four Touchstones in all that we do:
1. Gospel Spirituality: we invite all people into the story of Jesus and strive to involve his message of compassion, justice and peace as a living reality within our community.
2. Liberation Education: we open hearts and minds, through quality teaching and learning experiences, so that through critical reflection and engagement, each person is hope-filled and free to build a better world for all.
3. Inclusive Community: Our community is accepting and welcoming, fostering right relationships and committed to the common good.
4. Justice & Solidarity: We are committed to Justice and peace for all, grounded in a spirituality of action and reflection that calls us to stand in solidarity with those who are marginalised and the Earth itself.
St Mary’s College is a Catholic school with 750 boys. Our overall goal is to provide the boys the opportunity to achieve excellence in all areas of their holistic education: spiritual, academic, sporting, cultural and social education from Years 5-12. At St Mary’s College, we focus on and are specialists in boys’ education, providing various relevant and modern learning experiences and extra-curricular opportunities.
Our motto is: The crown goes to the one who strives, ‘Conanti Corona‘. So, all boys are encouraged to strive for excellence and realise their potential in all areas of their holistic education.
The key features of our Mission statement that we aim to achieve at St Mary’s College are:
• Live out vision of Jesus Christ;
• Holistic Education: Spiritual, Academic, Social, Cultural and Physical – Excellence in all we do;
• Quality teaching and learning;
• Christian Living Fostered;
• Edmund Rice Spirit Alive;
• Each boy is valued;
• Dignity of all;
• Social Justice is fundamental;
• Reaches out to all backgrounds;
• Welcoming spirit;
• Proud of heritage & history.
The College has a proud history and strong Old Boys’ Association and we remain connected and educated about the many past famous old boys who attend the College including: Prime Minister, Frank Forde; Governor Sir Walter Campbell; Rear Admiral, Pat Perry; Air Vice Marshall, Harold Hawkins; Tom Gorman (Australian Rugby League Captain) and more recently; Johnathan Thurston (Australian & QLD half back).
In 2013, St Mary’s College launched its new Strategic Plan for the Future, enabling the College to remain an alive, modern and vibrant educational institution that encourages boys to develop into fine young gentlemen, in this, our ever changing world.
You are warmly invited to join the St Mary’s College family, a College we are very proud of.