St Mary’s College strives to grow in faithfulness to the vision and mission of the founder of the Christian Brothers, Br Edmund Ignatius Rice.
We, at St Mary’s College, encourage all our members to pursue the ‘presence, compassion, liberation’ philosophy of Catholic schools in the Edmund Rice tradition. Further information on the tradition is outlined on the Edmund Rice Education Australia website (www.erea.edu.au).
Spirituality is a foundational, cultural feature of the Edmund Rice Education Charter as it permeates all that we do and even who we are becoming. It expresses Edmund’s vision of ‘liberation for life to the full’ (John 10:10).
While reverence is paid to the individual journey of each person, the College lives out spirituality in a number of ways. This includes:
- The pastoral attention to all members of the College community.
- Celebration of the sacred in Eucharist, other liturgies and rituals, retreats, regular prayer, and meditation.
- Academic engagement with Religious Education subjects and a curriculum that promotes life values.
- Social Justice initiatives
- Faith formation through student and staff retreats and service programs.
- The promotion of right relationships and interactions with all members of the College community.