Grounds and Facilities

||Grounds and Facilities
Grounds and Facilities2018-12-21T18:32:54+10:00

Grounds and Facilities

The College features modern classrooms complete with data projectors, speaker system, Apple TV’s, specialised teaching and learning areas, a chapel, a multipurpose indoor complex, multiple modern computer rooms, a rugby league field and a soccer field, tennis courts, basketball courts, a gymnasium with a well-equipped weights room, a pool, and specialised music facilities.

Brothers’ House – Administration

The original building of the school was built in 1898 and opened for classes in October of 1899. It was named after the home town of Edmund Rice, Waterford, Ireland. When the building first opened, it contained four classrooms and the Brothers’ residence.

It now contains:

  • Reception
  • Student services and sick bay
  • Principals’ office
  • Deputy and assistant Principals’ offices
  • Finance and administrative services
Brother's House

Bishop Kelly Building

This building was named after the former Bishop of Toowoomba, Most Rev. Edward Kelly 1976-1992. The building was opened in January 1985 and it has always been used as teachers’ offices and staff room.

Archbishop Dunne – Primary Building

Originally opened in 1920, it is the second building constructed by the Brothers. It is named after the Archbishop of Brisbane, who was integral in the establishment of St Mary’s College in Toowoomba. Due to the large size of the classrooms and the wide verandas, it is occupied by the junior school.

Brother Treacy Building

Brother Treacy was the first Christian Brother who established Edmund Rice education in Australia in 1868. In 1898 he gave the approval for the establishment of a Catholic boys’ school in Toowoomba.

Today the building contains:

  • Library
  • Tuckshop
  • Food Technology
  • Restaurant and coffee shop

T.P. O’Brien Hall

Opened in 1983 and built with the support of the St Mary’s College Old Boys Association, it continues to serve the role as the College Hall and holds functions such as Mother’s, Father’s and Grandparent’s Days, school assemblies and graduations.

It was announced in 2018 by the Future Planning Committee that the College received funding and Council approval to build a new Auditorium on the school oval. When the auditorium is finished construction, the T.P. O’Brien Hall will be converted into a state-of-the-art library, and the current library will be converted into classrooms.

Grounds and Facilities

(click to enlarge)

Archbishop Duhing Building

Opened in 1960 and extended in 1992, it was named after the 3rd Archbishop of Brisbane.

Bishop Byrne Building

This building was named after the former Bishop of Toowoomba, Most Rev. James Byrne 1929-1938. The building was opened in 1968 and it has always been used as the science block. Today, the building contains:

  • Science classrooms
  • Learning Enrichment Hub, ‘The Hub’
  • Responsible Thinking Centre

Centenary Court

The courtyard area was built in 1999 as part of the Centenary Celebration and was donated to the school by the College Parents and Friends. At the time of its original construction it won many awards for its design.

Bishop Brennan Building

This building was named after the former Bishop of Toowoomba, Most Rev. William Brennan 1953-1975. The building was opened in 1979, with extensions in 1983. Today, the building contains:

  • General learning classrooms
  • Industrial technical design and graphics
  • Music and performance studios

Maintenance Shed

Contains the College’s maintenance department, as well as classes for building and construction subjects.

Second Hand Uniform Shop

Better known as the shop on the corner, it provides a place for families to pick up good quality second hand uniforms.

Opening Hours:

  • Monday 8:00am to 9:00am
  • Tuesday 2:30pm to 3:30pm
  • Wednesday 8:00am to 9:00am

Brother Rodger’ Oval

This was a joint project between the College and the Old Boys Association, and was opened in 1978. The ovals are marked up to cater for Rugby League, Football, Cricket and Athletics.

Clive Berghofer Stadium

A project by the St Mary’s College Old Boys Association completed in 2006, the Stadium houses two international standard basketball courts, as well as catering for volleyball and futsal.

College Pool

Built in the 1930’s, it is still in good working order after many refurbishments over the years. It is used extensively by the boys over the spring and summer months, but can get a bit chilly when the wind picks up.

ANZAC Place

Opened in 2016, this green space allows for a place of reflection and collegiality for students. It is often used for Mentor gatherings and College Assemblies and is names to honour the Old Boys of the College who have served in war.