History and Tradition

||History and Tradition
History and Tradition2018-11-26T10:41:17+10:00

History of the College

St Mary’s College, formed in 1899 by the Christian Brothers, has been and continues to be an integral part in the education of many young men in Toowoomba. Our success ranges from academic, cultural, sporting to spiritual development and our Old Boys enjoy outstanding careers post-school in professional and commercial undertakings. There are many proud and dedicated Old Boys who continue to support the College financially and enthusiastically speak with fond memories of the spirit of mateship and support that exists at St Mary’s College. The Old Boys Association continues to be vibrant and well patronised with its major contribution being the facilitation of the Clive Berghofer Arena on Herries Street. Below, you will see a summary of some of the important dates in the development of the College. The rich history of St Mary’s College makes it a privilege to be a part of the continuing St Mary’s story.

Picture

1898

Br Patrick Ambrose Tracey, Provincial Superior of Christian Brothers in Australia is visited in Sydney by the Parish Priest of Toowoomba, Fr Denis Fouhy, about the establishment of a boys’ Catholic school in Toowoomba.

1898
Picture

1899

28th January, tenders invited for the erection of the School/Residence designed by William Hodgen HRIBA (Construction time 24 weeks).

26th February – Foundation Stone laid by Archbishop Dunne.

15th September – Br J.H. Hurley – First Principal arrived in Toowoomba.

28th September – School/Brothers’ residence – completed (as exists today).

1st October – Classrooms and residence blessed and opened.

2nd October –St Mary’s College commenced operations – 120 pupils – first student was named as William McGoldrick, having won a foot race from Our Lady of Lourdes Church to St Mary’s College. Fr McGoldrick was ordained in 1911.

1899
Picture

1903

Enrolments at St Mary’s College grew to 210 pupils.

1903
Picture

1914

August – Sudden death of Principal Br J.B. Nugent (1912-1914). A white Carrara marble statue of the Madonna was erected in memory of him in front of the Brothers’ Residence –which still exists today.

1914
Picture

1915

School placed First in Queensland by the official examiner of the Christian Brothers.

1915
Picture

1916

School placed First in Queensland by the official examiner of the Christian Brothers.

1916
Picture

1918

21st July – Laying of Foundation Stone, St Mary’s second school building, by Apostolic Delegate Archbishop Cattaneo.

1918
Picture

1919

26th August – Fire damages the south/west corner of the school building (Brothers’Residence).

October – Restoration of the fire damaged building completed.

1919
Picture

1920

30th October – Second school building completed to accommodate the increasing number of students (Primary Building).

1920
Picture

1921

10th October – Initial Old Boys’ Association formed.

1921
Picture

1929

Five Old Boys ordained – Frs H Crowe, T McCormack, J Michael, B Noland and R Prior.

Old Boy, Tom Gorman captains Kangaroo Rugby League team on tour of Great Britain.

1929
Picture

1930

College Swimming Pool and 2 Tennis Courts erected with relief labour supervised by Br McAllen

1930
Picture

1943

Dr RSJ (John) Simpson secured 1st Place in Senior in Queensland.

1943
Picture

1945

6th – 12th July – Old Boy, Frank Forde was Prime Minister after the death of John Curtin.

1945
Picture

1946

First College Magazine.

1946
Picture

1949

Golden Jubilee Celebrations, current Old Boys’ Association and Brisbane Sub-Branch formalised. The need for sporting fields and an assembly hall identified – commencement of land purchases and building of facilities for the College over many years.

1949
Picture

1952

Enrolment at St Mary’s College reaches 502 students.

1952
Picture

1956

Establishment of second Christian Brothers’ School in Toowoomba; St Joseph’s College, to cater for the Catholic boys on Eastern side of Toowoomba.

1956
Picture

1960

New classroom block opened – Hill Street.

1960
Picture

1968

New classroom and Science Block- opened.

1968
Picture

1971

Library building – completed.

1971
Picture

1978

Sports field over Hill Street constructed by Old Boys, officially opened 26th November 1978.

1978
Picture

1979

Manual Arts building – completed.

1979
Picture

1983

June – (3) G P Classrooms, (2) Technical Drawing rooms, Woodwork and Welding facilities and covered court yard opened.

19th June – T.P. O’Brien Multipurpose Centre – completed by Old Boys.

 

1983
Picture

1985

Administration Building – completed.

1985
Picture

1992

12th April – Duhig Building (Hill St) Extensions opened. These catered for Speech, Drama, Music, Japanese Studies, Computer Classrooms and General studies.

1992
Picture

1993

Margaret Street Complex extended to provide 6 additional classrooms, Japanese Language Laboratory, Social Science Room, 2nd Graphics Rooms, refurbishment of PE facility.

1993
Picture

1996

Extensions to Administration Building – opened. Last Christian Brother Principal of St Mary’s College: Br B.E. Walker – completed term.

1996
Picture

1997

First Lay Principal – Mr Robert White.

1997
Picture

1999

Centenary Celebrations: 1899-1999

1999
Picture

2005

Gymnasium on Herries Street alignment completed by Old Boys for the commencement of the School Year – officially opened – 27 May 2006.

2005
Picture

2010

Primary Library and Old Brothers’ Residence refurbishment – opened.

2010
Picture

2012

Refurbishment of Science block.

2012
Picture

2014

Refurbishment of Tuckshop.

Opening of Food Technology Kitchen and Restaurant.

2014
Picture

2015

Refurbishment of Applied Technology and Design buildings.

2015
Picture

2016

Development of ANZAC Place

2016
Picture

2019

Building the new Auditorium

2019

This is just a snapshot of the wonderful history in the development of this fine College.